Thursday, December 11, 2008

Not exactly a winter color, is it?

Our winters are mild enough that a lot of the public plantings include kale (ornamental cabbages). They come in purples and creams and greens, with solid leaves and lacy leaves and wavy leaves. I like them because raindrops cling to the leaf edges so nicely. This one was at the gas station, and I snapped a couple while my car was filling up with $1.89 gas!!

One of the wonderful variegated varieties. Love the combination of colors, and the way that the leaves are edged in green.

12 comments:

Bobbi said...

So pretty, so far we have had a pretty mild winter too. I hope it stays that way, love this pink color.

Anonymous said...

These are amazing! WOW! Love the water drops.
Cari

Mom2Drew said...

Our gas is down to less than $1.50, I can't believe it! Lovely purple.

For Over 29 Years... said...

Wow pat! Beautiful colors. Of course your macros are amazing. Don't want to make you jealous, but our gas was $1.49 this morning!

Jen said...

Wow! Thats all I can say. WOw. These are really great! Such vivid color and the drops are so clear!

Becky said...

I love when you find beauty in a place like a gas station. You'd never know by looking at these fantastic photos. I love the colors and of course the drops.

Lauren Hartman said...

Lovely Pat! Dontcha just love the gas prices It's $1.79 by my house, I never thought I'd see that price again!

I didn't realize you'd been going to Molbaks....I thought there was another nursery nearer to you. I was up there a few weeks ago, however I didn't bring my camera. I'm heading out there again next week (have about $100 in half off coupons that need to be used), I'll be sure to bring my camera then!

Reds said...

Love that last one - the colors are GORGEOUS!! And those water drops... WOW!!

Amy said...

Wow, these are so pretty and you're so resourceful...getting your POTD while filling up with gas! :)

Mandy said...

These drops really pop against the magenta in the leaf. WOW. So beautiful. Our gas is down to 1.69 here in Maine. I almost peed myself I was so exciting. (Ok...that was TMI...sorry)

Amy said...

Hi Pat! We're moving to Sonoma County, are you familiar with that area? I'm pretty sure we're leaving tomorrow, although a snow storm has blown in and it will depend on the roads. :)

Lou said...

Way to multi-task! I love the water drops against the hot pink leaves.