Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Winter at the Falls

Early morning sun, streaming over the lip of the falls and shining through the mist...it almost looks like an otherworldly glow.

I really like the contrast here--the warm ethereal colors and light in the upper left, and the cool dark pool at the base of the falls.

The rock wall at the base of the falls, on the far side, was covered with sheets of icicles. They remind me of elaborate Victorian fringes. Not color tweaked at all--down at the base, in the shadows, it was this blue and chilly-looking!


13 comments:

Lauren Hartman said...

Holy smokes Pat, these are incredible! Love the last one with all that frozen water. I sure wish I had time to drive up to the falls and shoot. Was this at Snoqualmie?

Vanessa said...

wow that last one is amazing! I love waterfalls, these are so gorgeous.

Sharon said...

Very cool and cold! I expect to see some fairies floating by.

Anonymous said...

Wow those are wonderful! Love every single one of them. Looks so cold!
Cari

Becky said...

I've been trying to comment on these all night but Blogger won't let me--the gist of it was "AMAZING!!!!" (and happy for you to find ice)

Kerry said...

One word: GORGEOUS!

Reds said...

Wow!!! The falls are as gorgeous in the Winter!! And I love that last shot - looks so cold!! brrrrr!!

Jess said...

Wow, the falls are SO beautiful, in ANY season! These shots are positively magical feeling!

Lori said...

Those are beautiful!

Margaret said...

Wow, Pat! These are just incredible! What a beautiful location and I love the way you captured it!

PierKiss said...

These are amazing! I love the first one and the last one. The first one makes me think about how the sun eventually comes out to warm even the coldest of places. And the second one makes me want to wrap myself up in a thousand blankets.

Mandy said...

These seems like they are out of a storybook fantasy land. The third one is so misty and beautiful. Delicious, divine images. We do live in such a beautiful country, huh?

Angela2932 said...

OMG! How do you even get there? Do you have to hike in, wearing survival gear? That last one is just astonishing! These may be my favorite photos of yours of all time! I like them as is, but am wondering what they would like with the Topaz filter.