Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Shapes 3: Chihuly Glass

I love blown glass. When I was a kid, there was a glass blower in the little town near our summer cottage, and I got to buy a couple of blown glass animals every year. Part of the treat was watching him blow the glass and form the animals--fascinating.
Moving out to Seattle was like hitting paydirt, with Dale Chihuly and the Pilchuck School. I love love Chihuly's work--so vibrant and fluid and organic. These are from a shopping mall near me; I love the chandelier. It is three separate layers of all these colorful explosions of shapes and forms.


The green is from a water feature on the ground floor--several of the reed/grass type green pieces come up out of the water. Behind them is a 3 story piece of clear glass that has water sheeting down it, which gives the other pieces of glass sculptures behind the glass a really other-wordly look. Anyway, I LOVE Chiculy's work and want to get down to Tacoma to go to his Museum of Glass and see what else will blow me away.


30 comments:

DoubleM said...

Oh how I love hand blown glass. At the yearly local fair they used to have a glass blower and I used to stand there and watch him for hours.

Anonymous said...

These are so fabulous. My step father is a glass blower and I could just watch him for hours. Its so peaceful, so I can totally relate to your journaling on this as well. The colors are fantastic, Pat!

Jennifer said...

WOW, these are stunning! I absolutely love the color of these!!

Anonymous said...

Your photos have the most amazing texture...these are no exception...wow!
cari

Val said...

These are gorgeous! So much nicer than the blown glass unicorns and whatnot...

Ginnie said...

What fun cool colors pat. I love the last two especially.

HeyLady said...

We have a large Chihuly piece in our symphony hall. It's incredible.

The green ones look like eels.....

Stacey said...

These are beautiful! Great colors and very cool shapes

cherie said...

great idea for photos. love the colors in these . fantastic.

Chell said...

WOW these are cool. I love blown glass too. I have a second cousin out in California that is a glass blower. I hope one day to make it out there to get some shots of his stuff.

Unknown said...

Wow! Very cool!

Unknown said...

The green blown glass is fabulous! You definitly captured the colors and clarity of these beautiful peices well! tfs. Toni

Sara said...

Wow. All of that "organic" inspired art is really is fascinating. It just keeps pulling you in for more. Thanks of rposting these. And of course, you photos of it are great :)

Amy said...

Wow, that is one amazing chandelier! Great colors you caught there. The green one is really pretty too.

Debbi said...

Very beautiful colors and textures!

Anonymous said...

These are all gorgeous! Love all the colors.

Becky said...

I love to watch glass blowers, too. There is one in my hometown and I could spend all day in his shop watching him work. These are gorgeous photos, Pat! The shapes and colors are amazing.

Anonymous said...

What awesome blown glass. Love the clarity and color in the photos.

For Over 29 Years... said...

wow Pat! Fantastic. Not only are those so cool, you captured them brilliantly!

mamawest777 said...

Gorgeous!!!! Love that last one, especially!!

Mom2Drew said...

Oh to be a fly on your camera! LOVE all these colors and terrific shapes, magnificent!!!!

Jodi said...

wow, those are so cool!

Jen said...

I love his stuff as well! It's on display frequently down here in gardens.... Beautiful pictures!

amazing grace said...

wow! those last images are gorgeous!!! love the green and the blue/reflections.

Anonymous said...

wow! that's so cooL>!
love the color!
tara

Shawna said...

These are awesome! The colors are fabulous, I love the last one!

Margaret said...

I love blown glass, also. Such an incredible process to watch. I love the colors and shapes in your shots. Spectacular!

mel said...

wow! those are beautiful!

Angela2932 said...

Ok, now I want to move to Seattle. The ugly building didn't convince me, but this certainly does. I really love the 2nd photo, the way the light reflects off of it.

Tera Fraley said...

Great shapes and colors, very interesting!