Tuesday, February 12, 2008

WHAT was I thinking???

Ok, so I've been out here at DD's for 10 days, helping her with the newest DGD and the other two. I brought my camera, my card reader, and many good intentions to actually take photos, do a little posting, and get around to commenting on everyone's blog.
Yeah, right.

Reality is: the 4 yr old and the 14 mo old are up at 7 am and on the go. By the time the 14 mo old goes down for her morning nap, the 4 yr old is in Full-Speed-Ahead gear and Babycakes is ready for another feeding. DD needs to shower and get ready, and the 900 sq ft. apartment they live in is ready for yet another toy decluttering session (at least 8 of those a day...sometimes more.) Laundry, dishes, diapers, 4 yr. old off to preschool, back home where 14 mo old goes down for afternoon nap and Babycakes is up and needing some serious Nana Adoration time. Mid afternoon brings "I just had my birthday and I'm 4!" home at full speed, and middle sis up from her nap, and all the chaos that brings. Then strikes Grumpy Hour where everything starts to unravel and we (DD and I) try to keep everyone together until Blessed SiL gets home from work to share the Joy. A quick bite to eat, baths, reading nighttime stories, tucks into bed (multiple tucks for Miss 4), and we all collapse, exhausted. Then SiL needs the computer for his work stuff; I sit comatose in a chair until I can politely excuse myself for bed, to recharge for another day (unless I am needed to spell someone on the Wee Hours Shift).
HOW ON EARTH did I do this when I was DD's age?? I know I didn't sit on the floor and put together the same jigsaw puzzle 7 consecutive times (no exaggeration--that was last night). HOW do all of you young moms do this? I love this, but my upcoming week in Hawaii looks even better. I've been reading blogs, sporadically, but it is really hard to post when you have an infant or 2 kids on your lap. At the most I've had 5 minutes uninterrupted, so apologies to all for my absence. However---these cute little faces make all the chaos, noise, crankiness and busy-ness worth every single second. Thanks to Laura for letting me use one of her photos.

Hopefully I will be back home by the weekend and able to get back into the POTD routine before DH and I leave for our Midwinter Break.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I think they are just blessed to have you there. You dont realize how much you really are helping them, Ive been there, and it wouldnt have been the same without grandparents to help us. They are adorable... congrats!

Anonymous said...

sounds exhausting LOL!
have fun though!
tara

Anonymous said...

what a cute photo! Love this.
Cari

Tera Fraley said...

How sweet of you to be there for them!! I could only imagine! We have one and somedays I feel so exhausted!!

lcp said...

OH, but just look at those beautiful smiling faces and you see that it is all worth it! :-) How wonderful for you to be there with them...my mom lives 1/2 the country away and on the rare occassion that she visits it is for 24-48 hours MAX! No lie! It is exhausting, but great memories when you look back on it.

mel said...

they are adorable! what a help to the mama! you will definately be ready for vacation!

Becky said...

Phew, I remember those days! I remember begging my mom to stay "just one more day!" I never could have kept up with POTD when my two were little. Love seeing your granddaughters!

Tori said...

They are so precious! My son loves puzzles, too.... he'll sit there for hours putting the same ones together over and over again.

Kelly said...

Lucky you to get to spend time with those cuties. Enjoy the rest of your trip

Kelly

periwinkle eye images said...

Thanks for alerting me to this! I would not have thought you could even write a blurb - but good for you! Yes, lots of lines there to read between! I am happy for L and B that you are there and this time will never be forgotten or diminish in its importance! Can't wait to have you back home! ML

Lauren Hartman said...

Oh my gosh Pat, I am exhausted just reading all that. What a wild ride y'all are on, and how lucky your DD and SiL are to have you out there to help. They must be so grateful! Enjoy your precious time with the grandkids, I know they must cherish having you there for them, and think happy thoughts till HAWAII!!!

Amy said...

What a great help you are and sounds like you're enjoying your time very much. I'm sure you're much appreciated! And you chose the order of your trips correctly...get the relaxation after this trip!

Shawna said...

Awww they are so adorable! I'm sure you are a huge help to your daughter!