Monday, February 18, 2008

Shapes

These were placed randomly in a flagstoned area--I think they are there to help with drainage during the heavy rains; I really like the combination of curves and straight lines.
And I love how these curve and follow the shape of the flagstone to the left.
This is a few weeks old, back when we had some snow. These are the shapes I HATE to see in my yard--they mean the elk have been through, molesting my garden. In fact, I had fresh ones this morning in the grass, but these show up much better. When we moved out here I was so excited to see elk, never realizing that they are really large pests and worse than deer when it comes to messing up a yard and garden. I know they were here first, but they are lazy and stay in the neighborhoods where browsing is easy. So, I HATE to see these shapes in my yard...

17 comments:

Amy said...

Very cool shapes! I love that second one, the trail just leads your eye along.

For Over 29 Years... said...

wow, what an eye you have. those are cool shapes! I have to admit, elk in my yard would be pretty fascinating.

Margaret said...

Cool shapes that you've captured, Pat! Sorry about the elk in your yard. We have a lot of deer in our yard, especially in the winter. I always get excited, but my neighbor gets soooo frustrated with them because they eat the flowers off all her tulips, just leaving the stems!

Trina said...

Great way to stay on theme!!! Love the elk foot prints! too bad they are a pain!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Moose scare me. I don't think I'd ever like to see a live one.

Sara said...

Okay first- elk? Who knew? Now I want to see apicture of elk in your yard, lol.

I am not surprised but impressed nontheless that you spied these shapes amongst the flagstones. I like your captures of them.

I always enjoy your posts, I never know what you will have discovered that day to share ith us!

Becky said...

I just knew we'd see cool shapes from you, Pat! I get a lot of deer, too, but for some reason they don't bother my tulips (probably because here in Maine they don't bloom long). My SIL has had deer come right up onto her porch in suburbia to eat her flowers.

Val said...

All cool shots. I'm not a fan of wildlife in my yard either. I usually only get pesty neighbor dogs though...

Jen said...

COOL! Love the snow prints! Something I'll never see in my yard!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Interesting shapes. Love the elk story. I love seeing them but you are right they will eat up everything. Lucky for us our dogs keep em out of our yard

Anonymous said...

love the elk prints!
even though they are peskY!
tara

Tera Fraley said...

Very cool, I love the circular ones through the stones.

HeyLady said...

I like the curved path one lots!

My neice has 2 huge elk (one is a 6 pt) that hang out in her yard. She's hoping that they will go higher once the snow starts to melt & before she plants her garden.

jewels said...

Pat,

I always get excited when I'm about to look at your photos! You have an amazing eye, you see things nobody else does! I love the circles!

Cheers,
jewels

Tori said...

cool shapes! I like the leading lines in the second one...

lcp said...

Great shapes! Looks like a very beautiful area. The 2nd photo really catches my eye.

Unknown said...

I really like your love/hate relationship with shapes.