Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Flying Fish

It's salmon season! The chinook, coho, pink, sockeye and other kinds of salmon are returning from the ocean, and making their way back up their spawning streams. There is a salmon hatchery near where I live, and I love to go watch the salmon fight their way upstream, and then onto the fish ladder. We've had enough rain recently that the creek isn't too low; some years it has been so low that the salmon almost have to walk to get to the fish ladder. The run starts late Aug or Sept, and goes until about the end of Dec., and between 10,000 and 30,000 salmon make their way up the creek to the hatchery.
Once they get there, they throw themselves time and time again at the falls, until they finally find the fish ladder and go up that. These guys are HUGE--probably at least 30-50 pounders. Some of the Chinook can get up to 120 lbs. That's a LOT of salmon!!
I LOVE it when I can actually catch them "flying"!

This is a coho--isn't he a beauty???
Once up the fish ladder, they are in a huge holding tank. There the hatchery personnel get the eggs from the females, and the milt from the males. Five to six million eggs are fertilized and raised in the hatchery each winter. In the spring, the young salmon (fry) are released into pens to grow larger. About half larger younglings (smolt) are released into the creek, and the others are sent to other locations.
The salmon will spend 1-7 years at sea, depending on the species, and will return to its spawning ground to mate and die.
There, you now know more about salmon than you wanted to know!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the salmon education! I can not believe you got them in the air! Great shots.
Cari

Emily said...

Visitin from 2peas. Wow that would be so awesome to see! Great pictures of this event!

Michelle said...

how amazing! I definitely know more about salmon now than before. and how awesome to catch them in the air.

Mom2Drew said...

I LOOOOVE salmon. We used to live in Alaska and would see them jumping all the time.

Stacey said...

Very cool!

barb said...

Very cool and loads of great info. Thanks!

Suzy said...

These are soo cool Pat! Great job!

Mandy said...

Now that is amazing. I am saving this post for my hubby so he can see it when he gets up. He is a fly fisherman and I am sure he will me totally impressed with your pictures...as am I. I can't get over how you caught them in the air like that.

Sharon said...

Very cool!

I once had to design a fish ladder in school but have never seen them use one.

Jess said...

These are SO COOL! I took the boys to watch the salmon go up the ladder near where we lived in Idaho one year- they were amazed at how far those little guys could jump! Of course Austin and his need to know every little detail about everything did his research on the internet beforehand, so we got a lesson from him. It is so cool how they just "know" where exactly to go and what time to go there every year. Nature is SO COOL. :)

Bobbi said...

Pat I can honestly tell you that on anyone elses blog I would have stopped reading about salmon early on but I couldn't stop reading here lol. Your pictures and words are perfect, I love your blog. Those jumping shots are great!

Angela2932 said...

Wow! So interesting! I had no idea they got so big! I'm certainly going to be thinking differently about salmon now, next time I eat one!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

These have got to be some of the best shots I have ever seen. I love the way you "caught" the fish. Awesome.