Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Where the Wild Things Are

Last night on the way home, a little earlier than usual, I decided to take the "back way" part of the way. There on the side of the road was a black bear! NO WAY am I going to get out of my car for a photo!!! Besides, my reasoning was that there was too much traffic. About 1/4 mile beyond the bear were 3 deer grazing on the side of the road, too. About a half mile further down a coyote crosses the 4 lane, divided parkway in front of my car. By this time I was bouncing in irritation that I can't stop for these photo ops.

About a mile and a half further on is the "Elk Field" where the local elk herd has a tendency to hang out. The herd is now somewhere between 200-300 strong, so they usually aren't ALL there at the same time; there are sub-herds that rotate through the valley (including my neighborhood--and yard, curse them!)

Anyway, I stopped for the elk. Didn't have my telephoto, so I had to crop in a little with these. I was using my macro lens--I always have my camera in the car; just haven't had much of a chance to use it!!





15 comments:

Anonymous said...

that last shot is amazing! Perfect!
cari

For Over 29 Years... said...

I want to move by you!!! I can't even imagine driving in all that. My dh would and I would both be shooting, just with different instruments, ;)

Michelle said...

thats a lot of wild life you've got around there! that last shot is so majestic. love the fall leaves from you last post-beautiful color!

Mom2Drew said...

We don't have Elk like this, but have antelope and I always think to take photos, but never do. Not anymore:)

Angela2932 said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You live in paradise!!!!!!

Jackie's Shot said...

Beautiful elk. Great shots. ~Jackie

Becky said...

I get all excited when you use the word "pest" because I know I'm going to see some wildlife! The last one is my favorite.

jewels said...

PAT :) Omgosh... so when we were driving up from our vacation this summer, we drove hwy. 101 from Oregon, then went to aberdeen to Olympia... etc... Anyways, we saw a heard of elk, hundreds of them, and I've never seen anything like that before! I told my dad (an avid hunter--ha), and wish I would have stopped for a photo. I'm sending him a link to yours! Anyways, how are you?! I'm doing pretty well. This is a hard transition month, but I think things are starting to look up for our family! Thanks for your thought/prayers all the time!

Cheers,
jewels

Sharon said...

Very cool! Great captures!

Mandy said...

Oh my word! These are so amazing. It looks like you are so so close. The last one is my favorite. He is so regal looking.

Reds said...

Wow!!! You are so lucky to meet these animals on your way home!!! I'm lucky if I see a cat!!! ;) Love that last shot!!

Jess said...

Wow, you saw so many wild things on your drive! That is amazing! I don't think I would have stopped for the bear either... but I'm so glad you did stop for the elk- they are so majestic!

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

Wow, you saw a lot of wildlife! I love that last shot, it's just beautiful, he is so majestic! The green fields are gorgeous too. :)

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

How funny, after posting my comment I saw Jess' comment above mine...we both used majestic, not a commonly used adjective. :)

Kerry said...

What a ride home! Great shots.