Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sakgit Valley in bloom

Yesterday ML and I did a spur-of-the-moment trip up to the Skagit Valley, north of Seattle. It was a GLORIOUS day up there--clear skies, light clouds, sunshine, 60 degrees (!!!)...just perfect. The tulip fields are finally opening up after the long wet cold spring we've been having. The bands and swaths of colors go on and on and blend into each other in such beautiful ways.
As we were glorying in the sunshine, we were also grousing because it made photos so much trickier...but I love the way the sun illuminated the tulips and made them glow. The shadows of the petals were so cool.
The borders at Roozengaard are incredible. They stagger the plantings, so when the early-blooming tulips are done, the mid-season start. There isn't a time when there aren't beautiful tulips in the beds and borders. It is so fun to stroll around and get ideas for your yard (that is, if the deer and elk didn't eat the tulips as soon as they came up!!)


Tomorrow I will post some detail shots of tulips, but I wanted to get some larger overviews up. The sheer amount of color is amazing!

15 comments:

Sharon said...

I just remembered why I want to move to Washington. Absolutely gorgeous!

Chell said...

Oh my word I have never seen anything likethat talk about gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! I would LOVE to go there! GREAT Shots!

Amy said...

Wow, that is such a beautiful place!!! I can't wait to see the close-ups!

You spotted correctly, those are indeed Mickey Mouse earrings. They're amethyst, her birthstone. :)

me said...

That is the first time I have ever seen that before. Really beautiful shots.

April said...

oh my gosh..those are gorgeous..i would go picture crazy there.

Regina said...

Glorious!! I would never want to leave. I'm thinking this is what heaven must look like. =)

Mom2Drew said...

Such fabulous colors Pat...so pretty!

Mandy said...

Now THAT is a lot of tulips, and I want to go there very badly. They are just so outrageous and plentiful and the colors are gorgeous. Really great photos.

Jess said...

HOLY MOLY, what an AWESOMELY beautiful place! I want to go there!

Malisa said...

gorgeous flowers! Just so bright and beautiful!

Becky said...

Holy guacamole, I think I would die of bliss if I saw that in real life! Beautiful, Pat--you captured it so well!

Bobbi said...

Love these Pat. That first one is especially beautiful with all that color.

Tera Fraley said...

Oh wow, these are great PAT! I just love all the bright colors..

Suzy said...

These are beautiful!