Monday, April 28, 2008

Water:

Went hiking Saturday afternoon at a lake near us. This time of year it is VERY low, so low that you can walk the shoreline all the way around the lake. In the summer the water goes right up to the trees, and there isn't a way around the lake on foot. I couldn't get over the color of the water in the shadow of the mountain--this incredible jade aqua blue-green. The stumps in the foreground are usually submerged.
Another view of the water color, un-tweaked.
This is part of the old forest at the far end of the lake, and this area is usually about 10' under water. Everything on this trunk and root system is submerged except for the green growth at the top.
I was standing underneath the roots in the above photo, shooting down the lake. All the stumps that are visible are under water in the summer, and the place I am standing is at least 10' under.
Once the snow in the mountains starts melting off, the lake will fill up.

22 comments:

Sharon said...

Wonderful captures! So much to see. Love the last one and your framing.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Great shots. Great color. Love the composition on the last one.

lcp said...

Wow! What a very cool place to explore before it all gets hidden. LOVE The color - the water looks like it should be in the caribbean. And the composition on the last shot is a perfect.

Malisa said...

Beautiful pictures!

For Over 29 Years... said...

I just had to show my DH this. He loves to see things like this and imagine where the fish live.

me said...

Well I love the framing in the last shot. I enjoyed reading. I agree the the water is a Really pretty color.

Jess said...

Wow, that is such a neat place to explore! I can't get over the color of that water... AMAZING!

Sandra Collins said...

these are amazing shots to have - it would be so beautiful to see the transformation from season to season here

LuckyMommy's Photography Blog said...

Those are beautiful! I love the last photo! The color of that lake is just breath-taking!

Tricia said...

You always take such wonderful pics.

Mom2Drew said...

Beautiful color and love that framing to the last shot. I need to commend you on something. Your colors are always right on the money, never too saturated or dull...just very naturally vibrant.

Kristina said...

What a pretty hike. That water is so amazing. And, I really like your last shot too.

C said...

Awesome! I really like the last shot!

Jen said...

What an awesome location... if you shot people! LOL! These are really neat!

Reds said...

Now those are beautiful water shots Pat! Love the color and the composition on these!

Mandy said...

Wow...I just love your nature shots so so much. That drift wood is amazing too. I can't get over all of the detail.

Becky said...

Beautiful as always, Pat. I especially LOVE that last one and the way you framed it!

summerbl4ck said...

i love the exposed wood. what a great perspective while the water level is low. beautiful composition as always! thanks for sharing

Tori said...

what a cool place! I love your perspective on the last one... very cool!

Amy said...

That is some beautiful water, love all of these, but my absolute favorite is the last one! I just LOVE the composition with the framing!!!

Angela2932 said...

Wow! Were you on another PLANET????

Tracy said...

Wow Pat these are great-that seems so inadequate but these and the condensation drops are awesome too...you never fail to inspire!