Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Company

This little guys show up every evening in my yard. He politely nibbles the grass, and ignores my flowers. Quite often he will sit there for extended periods of time; I worry about him because of the hawks and eagles in the area. He is a sitting target for them--and for me, through the window. Look at those little ears; this is still a baby.
And this is hawkweed. Growing up in Michigan we always called it Indian Paintbrush, but the proper name is hawkweed. I love the bright orange color and the curls, and the way the petals are squared off and serrated. Isn't the creator an incredible designer? Even the small details are amazing.

11 comments:

Reds said...

Never seen hawkweed before - they are very pretty and I love those colors!! Hope the little rabbit gets to visit your backyard all Summer long - such a cute visitor!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that second shot...those flowers are amazing...
Cari

Diana said...

Bunny!!!! hes so cute, and pat im loving the water droplets on the spiderweb their awesome!!!!!!

Sharon said...

Cute bunny!

I grew up in Michigan and never saw that beautiful plant before.

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

What an adorable little bunny! I have never seen a hawkweed before, it is very delicate and pretty!

Jess said...

Awww, what a cute bunny! I hope he can stay safe from the predators- especially since he is a NICE bunny who doesn't eat your flowers! Those orange blooms are AWESOME- those little curly tendrils and the scraggly petals make an unusual pair but it totally works! Plus the orange color is amazing!

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness! What a sweet, sweet bunny. It looks like you were so close to him too. I love the vibrant oranges on the flower as well. So cool.

summerbl4ck said...

i remember hawkweed where i grew up. we called it indian paintbrush too. great shot!

Suzy said...

Love those flowers and what a cute bunny! I hope the only one with their "eye" on him is you!

Tori said...

What a beautiful flower! They are amazing! And the bunny is so cute.... we have about 3 or so that live in our cul-de-sac. Alex thinks they are the best thing ever! :)

Angela2932 said...

The hawkweed is gorgeous! Wonderful shots, both. My son will be loading up a uhaul this next weekend. . . wish I could help him, but he's 700 miles away:( The good news is that he'll be closer, only 300 miles away! :)