Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Street Art

Every July there is a wonderful art fair here, with incredible artists from all across the country. ..painters, potters, photographers, jewelery makers, woodworkers, weavers... This guy is a chalk artist, and each year on the sidewalk in front of the art museum he does a different reproduction of a famous painting. Last year it was Raphael's two cherubs; this year he did Grant Woods' "American Gothic". It is fascinating to watch him work. He draws his outlines, and then referring to a photo, begins to fill it all in, coloring and blending, smudging and feathering.

And on the closed-off street right next to him, young artists try their hand at chalk art. So much fun!!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

I think the chalk artists are amazing! Their work is wonderful yet so fleeting.

Reds said...

I love street fairs!! And yours look like a lot of fun!! what a great artist to be able to reproduce a painting!!

♥ Amy said...

That is so amazing!! I would just love to watch him in real life. You got some great shots here.

Anonymous said...

Chalk art is great. I missed it this year in town. I'll have to remember to see it next year. Great shots.

amazing grace said...

that is very cool!!! love the artwork...and your pics are great!!!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

I like the comparison with the budding artist. Wow that is alot of work to have washed away later. Some people have so much talent.

Me said...

OH, I love street art. SOOOOOO COOL!
loriwittler.com/blog

Debbi said...

Those drawings are amazing! What talent they have. Great captures!

Rachael said...

The things that those chalk artists do just blow me away. Great shots, I love how you captured the young artist at work!

Suzy said...

Wow that art is awesome! I can't believe he did that on the street! That is def talent! Great pix!

Amy said...

It's just amazing how realistic they can make their art! My favorite shot is the last one of the little girl, what a cutie!

Amy said...

Neat neat shots!