Thursday, July 17, 2008

Landscapes: The Mountain

Living in the Seattle area, there is only one Mountain. Seattleites tell what the weather is like by whether or not "The Mountain is out"--or in other words, the clouds have lifted enough that you can see it, floating like a dream. No one ever questions WHICH mountain--everyone knows that The Mountain is Mt. Rainier. It's about an hour and a half from me, but from certain vantage points it looks as if it is only a couple of miles away, which just gives you a clue as to its immensity. An expedition to The Mountain is on my agenda this summer, or for sure in early fall when the leaves have turned, and before the snow starts.
And, when the Mountain isn't out, and we are socked in by clouds, this is the view of Rainier from above the clouds. Taken coming home on a flight...I love shooting out airplane windows! Where else would I get an incredible view like this??

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow those are beautiful!
Cari

Reds said...

Pat - one word - WOW!! :)

April said...

gorgeous!! i LOVE that second one!!

Sharon said...

Gorgeous!

lcp said...

WOW!!! LOVE the shot from the airplane - that is just fantastic!
What a great view to have every day.

Jenn said...

LOL about "the mountain is out" We say the same thing here in Portland, only we're talking about Mount Hood. :)

Mount Rainer is beautiful - hope you have fun on your planned visit there this summer. I'll be watching for you pictures of it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Gorgeous shots. I'm so jealous of the snow.

Farrah Jobling said...

OMG...sooo cool! LOVE the second shot!

Rachael said...

Awesome photos. I bet that would be a very cool thing to see every day!

Amy said...

WOW...that second shot is just incredible!

--sme said...

It looks like the mountain is hovering in the first shot!

Joanne Fowler said...

Ooooh, so beautiful! LOVE the second one especially!!!

♥ Amy said...

Gorgeous, Pat! I've never seen a "real" mountain. Our Eastern mountains are really tree-covered hills.

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Oh my Pat, those are absolutely breathtaking! I never thought the mountains could look as inviting as a beach, but you've done it!

Mandy said...

Gosh! That last one with the clouds and mountains just looks surreal! Amazingly beautiful.

Amy said...

Just absolutely gorgeous! The one out the airplane window is amazingly beautiful!