Monday, June 2, 2008

Ferns

A few details from Saturday's hike, with ferns all over everything. You can see them here, growing on the side of a tree. This fir was at least 80' tall, and the ferns covered the trunk almost all the way up.
A lone frond, just starting to uncurl, backlit by the sun.
I love these ferns. I THINK they are maidenhair ferns, but am not sure. The center vein is a really dark purpley/blue color and is so contrasty to the green of the foliage.
Sometimes just the sheer mass of the ferns themselves makes really neat designs.

22 comments:

jewels said...

Pat,

I just love the composition of the last photo. I too have been inspired by ferns. Growing up around here, I've never thought too much of them, but lately they've caught my eye! Yours are beautiful!

Cheers,
jewels

Chell said...

Oh Pretty ferns. I just love your photos I don't know what it is but whenever I am looking at your work it just makes me feel so calm. Thanks for sharing all you do.

Val said...

beautiful! I love uncurling ferns. they are so delicate and fragile looking and pretty.

Sara said...

the last one grabbed me. Ithink the texture and color and fullness of your composition is about perfect. LOVE it!

Reds said...

So green and so vibrant! Love these Pat! Celine

Mom2Drew said...

That last one would look so great in my bathroom, framed;)

I love the green color you get to your greenery. It's so natural looking, yet rich and saturated at the same time.

Cindi Koceich said...

so, so, so cool!! I love all of the fun designs!

Becky said...

So fernalicious! Now that I've seen and love the term bokehlicious (tmTera), I'm gonna 'licious' everything I love. :-D

Yvette A said...

Very nice, love all the green.

Kari said...

Those are very cool. I have ferns all over my yard and never thought to take a shot like that. Good thinking!

Sharon said...

Beautiful! Did you try converting any to B&W?

Michelle said...

ok, that second one just made me drop my jaw. love how you singled it out. just beautiful.

For Over 29 Years... said...

I think the last one is my favorite. Those are really nice and sharp

Margaret said...

I just love ferns. They are so delicate-looking. So beautifully green, too! These are just amazing shots, as usual!

Suzy said...

Beautiful! I love all the green!

Stacey said...

These pictures are just beautiful. I love how green and bright they are. What a beautiful hike.

Bobbi said...

I just love your posts Pat, I know I say it every time but I really do. That last shot is just way to cool, I love the pattern.

Jess said...

These are fantastic! I love ferns too, we only see them deep in the woods around here unless someone purposely plants them in a garden. Those patterns are amazing and I really love the little uncurling one!

mel said...

beautiful! love the contrast in the ferns on the 3rd shot.

Angela2932 said...

Wow! Especially on the last one! I love the repetition of patterns and lines in it, and somewhere I read that the human eye can see many more shades than we can captures in photos, but I swear, your magically camera captures them all!

Amy said...

It looks like this area is a jungle paradise!!! These are so pretty, I especially LOVE that last one, so cool too! You can tell that area gets LOTS of rain, to be so green like that! :)

Tera Fraley said...

LOVE the second one!! Great fern shots.