Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer: Evening at Rattlesnake Lake

Last evening was beautiful--about 60, just a slight slight breeze, so R and I went out to Rattlesnake Lake to see where the water level was. This photo was taken in November, when the lake level is low (and it gets much lower.)
When summer arrives, and the spring rains and melting snow in the mountains add to the lake, it looks like this. This is the same large tree root as in the first photo. It is now out in the lake. The lake was like a mirror last night.
This "island" is usually trees on the shoreline, and when the water is lower in the late summer there is at least 30' or more of shoreline behind the trees. Everything in front of the trees is rocky beach. This "island" is on the edge of the boat launch ramp--all of which is under water. When the water level is down, you can see the large (8' tall) stump on which this tree is growing.
And, this fisherman was out trying his luck. His little craft was pedal powered, and he would paddle himself around backwards, trolling for trout or whatever he could catch. I don't know why he had the sun protection hat on--maybe to keep his neck warm? You'll notice that he is It certainly was late enough in the day that there was no danger of sunburn, and we aren't really too mosquito-y around here. Hard to believe with all the water we have!!


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh these are beautiful...I love the ones with the reflections!!!
Cari

Anonymous said...

WOW wish I was there. Love #3 looks like the tree is growing out of everywhere.

Melissa said...

These are goregous! I always look forward to seeing your blog.

Unknown said...

Another great scene, you are so lucky to have such beautiful landscaping to capture.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I really like the 3rd and 4th photos.

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

B E A U T I F U L !!! I love everything about the 3rd one! They are all very pretty.

Chell said...

Oh these are so pretty, I love the reflections..

♥ Amy said...

Wow, I love that third shot. So perfectly crystal clear! Great reflection.

Becky said...

I love seeing the comparison. Looks like a beautiful place. You don't actually have rattlesnakes, do you?

Mandy said...

The 3rd shot almost made me cry its so beautiful. I just love it. Reflections are so difficult to expose for (at least for me) but you did a really outstanding job...as always!

Liz said...

OMGosh that photo of the trees reflected in the lake is tranquil beauty captured in pixels. LOVE it!

Amy said...

So beautiful and amazing how different the water level differs! My absolute favorite is the third one, it is just GORGEOUS with the reflections!

periwinkle eye images said...

Oh Pat - what a difference even a day makes (i.e. today compared to your pics here from yesterday) let alone a half a year! My favorite is #3 - that divided tree's reflection; almost looks like you used a fish-eye lens. I LOVE the effect! ML

April said...

oh my gosh..those are gorgeous! great job!

Michelle said...

that lake really does look like a mirror! how cool that the lake level changes that much. i'm hoping that there's not much truth to the name: Rattlesnake?

Stacey said...

These shots are incredible. You are absolutely amazing in how you capture the beauty of nature. You can feel how much it moves you through your photos. Nice job!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Great reflections. That is so cool how the tree is in the middle of all that water.

Suzy said...

I don't know which one to comment on! They are all just gorgeous!

Jess said...

This looks like SUCH a peaceful place- I absolutely LOVE the reflections. Hard to believe that HUGE difference in water levels from winter to summer!

Angela2932 said...

Wow! Those are phenomenal reflection photos! You just know it has to be absolute serenity to have that kind of stillness.