Sunday, June 1, 2008

"I keep on falling..."

Apologies to Alicia Keys. Another Falls post... ML and I did our own little Peas outing yesterday and hiked to a nearby waterfall. The trailhead is about 2 miles from my house, practically in my backyard! Perfect day for hiking--coolish, a breeze, sun, and not too many people. The rivers/falls have started going down, but there was still a lot of water. In the summer this falls is just a thin little ribbon. But now it is glorious!

This is the "middle" portion of the upper falls--there is another cascade higher up, beyond the rock on the left (you can see the mist from the cascade) but the trail was super muddy and very uninviting. Really tricky exposure for me, since the falls were in deep shadow in the gorge, but then there was the bright sun hitting areas. Sun in the NW is a photographer's double-edged sword. It is SO nice to see the sun shining, but then it blows everything out. When the clouds roll in, we cheer, or at least give a little sigh of relief.
Detail from above. Lots of water churning through that small area. I wish you could hear the roar. You couldn't speak in a normal tone of voice. This is the "big drop" of the lower falls. Just spectacular. It's 135'.
Part of the path. This glen was in the shade, except for that one section of vine maples where the sun hit them and illuminated them. You can see the moss and ferns growing on everything.
Part of the trail along the river--ML and I called it Fern Valley, because everything was covered with sword ferns. It was gorgeous!
And, of course, a little bit of slow water in the river. I liked the way the sun was hitting the moss on the rock in the foreground.

22 comments:

Debbi said...

Beautiful - love how the different shutter speeds capture it so differently!

Angela2932 said...

Even with the roar of the falls, this looks like it would be the most peaceful place on the planet! I like the different effects you captured.

Alicia Barry said...

Love the slow water shots.

Reds said...

How lucky you are to have that practically in your backyard! Beautiful falls - love that last shot!

Margaret said...

Wowzers, Pat! That silky smooooooth water is just breathtaking! You are so amazing!

Chell said...

These are amazing I want to come hiking with you guys.

Val said...

I love the moving water shts you did with slow SS. beautiful. those woods look magical too.

Sharon said...

Beautiful!

Lauren Hartman said...

Ack, I can't believe you had sun yesterday, we did in the early morning, then it turned to rain :( Looks like you had a great outing! LOVE you flower pics from the last few days, especially the clematis ones. Also, I love that you are able to identify everything you shoot! I have some photos from last spring of the perennial Bachelor's Button, but I had no idea what it was until now....thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be there hearing the water roar. Beautiful shots!

Amy said...

Absolutely stunning. I plan to practice this summer until I can get that flowing effect with water instead of freezing it!

Mom2Drew said...

I know what you mean about the sun. We've got over 300 days of sun a year, you'd think I'd be a pro at shooting in full sun...not so much.

Anyway, I just love what you do with water.

Elsa said...

Fantastic falls shots. I love the last one especially.

Molly said...

Very lovely!!

Mandy said...

Beautiful woodland scenery. I always feel like I am in some type of fairy tale when I see your work.

Jess said...

What an amazing place to take a walk to! I can almost hear the falls roaring! I love the shady woods shots, Kaitlyn saw them and asked me if that is where the fairies live. Of course I told her "yes", that DOES look like the perfect fairy world! ;)

♥ Amy said...

So very pretty. My favorites are the last one and the third from the last (with the sun illumination). But they're all lovely.

Becky said...

Ack, stupid blogger ate my comment. You know it was admiring though, right? Is it difficult to hike with your gear? I've never attempted anything but easy hikes with mine.

Amy said...

WOW, just GORGEOUS!!! My favorites are the fourth and last ones! :)

Michelle said...

what a beautiful trail! and how awesome that its so close to your house. your pictures are lovely and really give a feel for the area.

jewels said...

Pat, I love the depth and clarity of that first photo! The light on the water is perfect...and that last photo, so much punch and color, and I love the softness of the water! Almost (almost) makes me want to jump in!

Cheers,
jewels

Tera Fraley said...

This looks like such a peaceful place!! Love your waterfall shots!