Thursday, June 19, 2008

Windows: Pioneer Square

Pioneer Square is the old section of Seattle, where the original Seattle business distrcit stood. It was all wood, and a fire in 1889 burned it to the ground. However, industrious Seattleites got to work, and by the end of 1890 had built the new Pioneer Square area, full of wonderful stone and brick buildings (most of which have been retro-fitted for earthquakes, but I still wouldn't want to be down there during one!). So many wonderful architectural details; you can wander for hours, looking up, and around, into alleys, and wandering in the old buildings, which are still in use, and several of which have kept a lot of the old style intact. I love this place.





Even the alleyways are interesting!!


23 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, what a beautiful area!

Sandra Collins said...

these are fantastic looks like a gorgeous place for photos

Trina said...

Beautiful! I have been to Seattle and never noticed all the wonderful windows and buildings they have, now I am going to wandering around staring at the buildings!

Stacey said...

I love the last two. They have such a classic feel to them

Anonymous said...

They might be old windows. I LOVE old things!

Anonymous said...

These are so cool and so different! Love the alley ones!
Cari

Sharon said...

I love all the detail!

amazing grace said...

you are rocking this theme!!! love these photos and the architecture! and yesterday's windows are great, too!!!

Becky said...

Hmm, I posted this afternoon, but I guess I was posting on tomorrow's today and missed yesterdays. ;-) Anyway, love the way you photographed the modern windows too.

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

You seriously find the best windows! These are beautiful!

Ginnie said...

That alley way was awesome! Really cool shots.

Cindi Koceich said...

That is a really cool location! Love all of these shots!

Diana said...

pat i love your take on the old and new windows you have such and awesome variety of windows.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

I would love the see all of that. I like the arches of the windows.

Kerry said...

Cool pictures Pat. Makes me want to go to Seattle and wander around.

Mandy said...

First of all, these buildings are awesome! The windows are so neat, and nostalgic. Second...did you eat any chocolate! Haha.

Debbi said...

What fun variety! I hope to be able to visit there someday!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I am loving all the windows this week!

April said...

oh i'm loving those alley ways and the chocolate factory caught my eye..i'm craving some chocolate now!

Suzy said...

WOw! These are awesome! I especially like that last shot!

Michelle said...

those are just lovely! how far-sighted those seattlites were to build that.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, what a BEAUTIFUL area! I LOVE Seattle and can't wait to visit again with my camera! Two of my favorite cities to visit are Portland and Seattle, fortunately my dh and kiddos agree!

p.s. I don't know what that funky ship thing was, but it sure made me think of what Noah's Ark would have looked like. My sis said she'd never seen it there before and it was by far, the strangest thing ever!

periwinkle eye images said...

Pat - well, we knew it would happen - that at least 1 shot would be alike. But as our dh s say, even if we snap the shutter at the same subject, our views are different. What fun! And I only posted 1 pic of a Seattle alleyway! I love the last one here, with the mossy ledges; what could speak better of an old, dark place in Seattle?! ML