Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Purple!

Backsliding into flowers, but it's 50 degrees and raining...too yukky to try to go shoot something. So, here are some chives (aren't they a pretty bloom? I'd grow them just for the flowers!)...
...And this is a giant allium. It is about 5"-6" across, and about 3 1/2' tall. They're part of the onion family. This one was in front of a yellow-foliaged shrub, and I love the contrast.
Detail of the individual flowers that make up the enormous ball...
..and a visitor who just couldn't stay away!!

18 comments:

Tera Fraley said...

Oh wow, I just love that second one. Great capture of the bee to.

jewels said...

Pat! I love chive flowers. My mom has a TON of them, and she sent me home with some. Mine are blooming too, and I love them!

Cheers,
jewels

Molly said...

I love the allium with all the little flowers.

♥ Amy said...

Love the chives. We used to have them in the yard, but the kids forever reeked of onion from snacking on them. And your allium shots are beautiful - especially the one with the yellow background.

Reds said...

The Queen of macro! Love the second shot - Wow!!

Sharon said...

I love alliums! Great photos.

Chell said...

Wow I had no idea chives were so pretty, I will have to plant some to keep the bunnies away for sure.

Love the Purple and Yellow, amazing contrast

Amy said...

Fantastic! I love your header!

Angela2932 said...

I love your DOF in these. I think chives are great! They're also very helpful in discouraging rabbits from eating things like tulip buds!

Anita said...

Ohhh I love purple!!

Amy said...

These are just GORGEOUS! I too love the purple against the yellow background and capturing the bee is too cool!

Sara said...

The allium is beautiful. One of my neighbors has some in her yard. The first year, I thought they looked alien. Now I love them!!!
Your macro shot of the individual flowers is lovely, but I really do like the whole prurple "ball" against the yellow. Lovely composition!

Joanne Fowler said...

LOVE the second one!

mel said...

that second shot is just amazing, I've never seen anything like it! I'm growing chives this year, and hoping they will bloom soon. I think they are close!

Margaret said...

Love the allium. I couldn't remember what it was called when I put a shot of it on my blog the other day. They had those at the botanical garden. It was such a neat-looking plant, I thought. I loved how tall they were!

Mom2Drew said...

Did you know purple and yellow are complementary colors on the color wheel? A little trivia for you. #2 is terrific and an art teacher would be so proud.

Michelle said...

i didn't know that chives bloom. and bloom beautifully at that! lovely macros and flowers as usual, pat. your work is always so outstanding. hope the weather clears up soon.

periwinkle eye images said...

Great choices! My chives are blooming now too - used some instead of the green onions called-for in a recipe 2 days ago. They ARE a photogenic plant. Yes, I agree about the attractiveness of the purple with yellow bokeh. ML