Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summer: Foxglove season

Early summer is when the wild foxglove starts blooming. It is along the roads, in open fields, and pops up in my yard (a welcome guest!). The colors vary from soft and medium pinks up to vivid raspberry, with an occasional white one showing up from time to time. It's one thing the deer and elk don't eat (it's poisonous to them) so I like having it in the yard.



18 comments:

Angela2932 said...

Beautiful colors! I like how you cropped these. And they look so. . . regal! Like they know they're staring down the deer!

Suzy said...

Gorgeous as always! And my son just walked up behind me and said "Oh mama those are mazing!" LOL!! So Kuddo's from all of us here today!

Jess said...

OHHH! These are gorgeous! You are lucky to have these, I've never seen any foxglove around here!

Becky said...

How pretty--I'm pretty sure we don't have these wild around here. The skimboarding shots are so cool, too. I have fun watching people do this at the beach too.

Anonymous said...

Oh those are so pretty!!! I love the purple ones...great shots!
Cari

Sharon said...

Wonderful captures!

Mom2Drew said...

Amazing detail to these flowers. They are not all in your backyard right? Oh tell me they are not all in your backyard;)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

How can something so beautiful be poisonous

Anonymous said...

WOW! Those are amazing photos and flowers.

Reds said...

So beautiful - love that first shot - the colour is amazing!m

Anonymous said...

So pretty! I wish they'd grow here like that.

Heather Taylor Photography said...

Wow, those are so incredibly pretty!! Gorgeous shots!

Molly said...

Great, as always. I also love, love, love your watering can banner!!

jewels said...

That white one is DEFIANTLY my favorite! Aren't they poisonous to us too? I remember having to stay away from them as a kid... LOL Pat, I love your photos!

Cheers,
jewels

Stacey said...

I don't think I have ever seen that flower. It is so beautiful. Gorgeous photos.

periwinkle eye images said...

Yes! And to think that people in other areas actually BUY these in nurseries for their gardens! For gypsy girl and jewels: Foxglove is the plant from which digitalis, the heard medicine, is derived. Definitely a boon to humans, but probably NOT something a child should chew on. Mom knew best.
Pat,I love your chose-in pics here - so defined!

Amy said...

What beautiful colors, I love the variety! I have Foxglove in my yard too and it is one of my favorites. I've never seen white though, it's so pretty! And how neat how you can see the little hairs on the edge of the white flower!

Amy said...

Wow...gorgeous! I especially like those white ones.