Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Focus 1-9

Up with my TRUE focus--macro!! I LOVE macro, and am constantly working to improve my focus. With a shallow depth of field (I usually shoot wide open at 2.8) the DOF is very narrow, and just a breath can affect your focus. So, practice, practice, practice. And---delete, delete, Oh! That one's ok, delete, delete... and so on. I think one of the best lessons I've learned is all photos don't need to be kept. I read somewhere that the difference between a pro and a hobby/amateur photographer is that the pro throws away a LOT more photos. I'm not a pro, but I have been much more ruthless in my weeding and deleting.
taken early morning--f 2.8, 1/500 ISO 800 (a dark gray Seattle morning)
Late afternoon, same day f5.6, 1/20 ISO 200 Still gray out, just not as dark Shot a little more closed to show the other leaves and droplets a tad more. I love the way the lower drop is wedged between the 2 leaves.

37 comments:

Kristi said...

That first one is just breath-taking! You're amazing at macro! I'd love to see more!!!

cherie said...

love the macros you get just wonderful and these are right up there witht he best of them ! very nice

Kristina said...

These are beautiful. The droplets add so much.
-kristina k

It's These Little Moments said...

Great macro shots. I wish I could achieve something like this but they never turn out that good.

Yvonne said...

I love the first one!! Your macros are just so beautiful!

Katie said...

I love the 1st one!

Unknown said...

OH GOSH...awesome!!!!!! I can't wait to get a good macro lens! WTG!

Lauren Hartman said...

Nice job Pat, that first one is so crystal clear. I can't believe the second shot was at 1/20. ere you hand holding at that SS? A-mazing!

Jennifer said...

WOW!! These are stunning!

Refresh My Memory said...

Your photography is just stunning.

me said...

I to love macros and cant wait to get a lens for it someday! fantastic shots

Liz said...

First photo is gorgeous, your macros are so wonderful.

Margaret said...

Pat, Your macros are fabulous! I am always so impressed with your work. Those drops are just incredible! Way to catch them!

Anonymous said...

These are breath-taking. The droplets are so clear

Anonymous said...

OK WOW! Just amazing! I may have to learn macro...it scares me!
Cari

amazing grace said...

WOW--just love macro shots! really like the first one!

leah

Mom2Drew said...

Oh, that first shot is soooo amazing. It's so clear and sharp and just fantastic!

Michelle said...

wow. beautiful work. i love macros but never gotten the hang of it. or perhaps i just don't have the patience you have? :)

April Michelle said...

WOW - your macro is to die for, these photos are just amazing, really

Debbi said...

LOVE the macros!~

C said...

beautiful marco shots!

Tomboymama said...

Those are amazing, Pat. I am scared of macro, but I guess I just need to practice. It is like there is a whole miniature world out there to discover. That wedged drop of water is so cool!

Angela2932 said...

Wow! Your photos are like a window into another world! Can you write some about what your lens is? What exactly is a macro? And do you always use tripods? Itty bitty little ones???? (oh, wait! that doesn't make sense, does it?)

Lori said...

Absolutely stunning! Truly gorgeous!

Stacey said...

Wow! This is amazing! I really need to take to heart what you said about deleting pictures... This is something I am SO terrible about! I'm always like... well I might need this photo someday, ok, I'll keep it! But, you are SO right! I come from a long line of pack-rats. My grandmother owns 15 houses and every one of the basements are full of her stuff... Some of the houses are even full and she rents the rest of them out... well, anyway I am not a pack-rat, I can donate/throw things out with little hesitation. I should be the same way with my pictures... because if I wanted to look at a certain picture, I would have to wade through all of the junk to find it. (Which is what we say about my grandma's stuff)
So, did I win the LONGEST comment contest or what? LOL
Thanks for the advise!

Sharon said...

Holy moly these are so cool!

Becky said...

Oh I just love your macros, Pat! Beautiful!

Val said...

I love your water drop photos!

Jen said...

WOW! You are amazing with the macro! Awesome shots!

Jodi said...

very nice. love those drops

Danielle said...

just beautiful. I would love to have a macro lense one day.

robin said...

These are beautiful. I like how the water drops reflect the surroundings so clearly. I enjoy macro, too, and I need to practice more often. This reminds me that I really need to clean out some files! Delete...delete...delete.

Travis said...

I always love your flora shots, these are really good, nice droplets on them and nice use of dof for the focus theme.

Travis

Sara said...

ohhh. I am being pulled in the direction of macro too- I got a macro lens in September that I am playing with a little here and there. LOL, like your post said, delete, delete, delete...
I love the shallow DOF, it is beautiful. I like the color of the second shot a lot though, too. Thanks for posting these. And the food for thought about becoming more ruthless with the delete option!

Farrah Jobling said...

IMPRESSIVE!!! I absolutely love the first one!

Tori said...

wow Pat... your macro work is amazing! Love these!

Tera Fraley said...

Gosh I just love the pictures you get!! Im jealous!! Way to go!