Friday, January 25, 2008

Words, or the sound of...

There are some words I love just because of the way they sound. I love to say them. They are multi-syllabic (there's another one), and I love the way they trip and fall and cascade off the tongue, sounding almost like a dance rhythm.
I love:
TRISKADEKAPHOBIA (or fear of the number 13)
tris-ka-deck-ah-pho-bee-ah --does it make your foot tap?
PARASKEVITRIADEKAPHOBIA (fear of Friday the 13th)
par-ah-skev-ih-tri-ah-dek-ah-pho-bee-ah (tap those feet!)
Another long-time favorite (I know--you're thinking "This woman REALLY needs to get a life!") is SPHYGMOMANOMETER (that's a blood pressure cuff). Sfig-mo-ma-nah-meh-ter :-)

And a couple of "normal" words that are just fun to say--perspicacity and individuality. There are others, but this is a sample of words that make me happy because they are fun to say.

18 comments:

Becky said...

I was a medical transcriptionist for many years and it totally fed my love of the sound of words (homonymous hemianopsia is a favorite). DH and I always found our babies were mesmerized by us speaking medical terminology to them. Love your take on the theme today, Pat.

Chell said...

I am more with garfield and dread Monday the 13th more than friday. I like what you did for today.

Unknown said...

All i can say is this post is intersting... loL! Very unique. :)

Yvonne said...

Great words, and great pictures. I had to read your words I think a dozen times to finally pronounce it right, I think! LOL great take on the theme!

Tera Fraley said...

LOL!! Those are too funny and a mouthfull to say!!

Tori said...

LOL! You crack me up Pat! I love these... but I'm so thankful that you put the phonetic spellings on there as well!

Anonymous said...

great idea for a photo! Love it!
Cari

Mom2Drew said...

You are just too creative for words (get it?) Seriously great post.

Katie said...

You are too funny!

Kari said...

I like to see your point of view. Very unique!

Lauren Hartman said...

Pat, sometimes you totally crack me up, I love all your words entries this week. Congrats (a bit early) on your new grandchild. I hope you'll share lots of pics when you get back from your trip!

HeyLady said...

Original shots of words.

I can't pronounce any of them though.

laulley

Amy said...

Very interesting, I've not heard those big words!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...that is so awesome. I thought I was the only weird one like that. I too, have favorite words. I love your pictures too. Awesome.

Jess said...

These are so great! I am a "Weird word" lover as well. Sphygmomanometer has always been a fave! :c)

I also like to make up my own words, when I can't seem to think of the word I want to use, lol!

Val said...

I love words!! Love yours. Sphygmomanometer is a favorite of mine also. Pheochromacytoma is also one of my faves. What's that, you ask? Why, it's simply a chatecholamine producing tumor of the adrenal medulla. I learned a lot of my favorite words in nursing school. :-) "Bilateral salpingo oopherectomy" is also so fun. Get to say that often working in OB.

Margaret said...

Pat, you are so funny and your captures are so creative! Love it!

Anonymous said...

You are so interesting and creative thank you for putting in the phonetic spelling