Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Horizontal and Vertical: Day 2

A varied thrush, sitting in the tree just outside the window. A horizontal photo....
...and a vertical shot. He was cold and not moving too quickly, so I was able to get this in pretty quick succession. I like the vertical shot better, because for me there is too much clutter with all the tree branches and twigs. Besides, a vertical subject, to me, looks better in a vertical shot.

21 comments:

Chell said...

Wow awesome shot. I actually am drawn to the horizontal one, but love them both

Jen said...

I like the horizontal as well... Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that first one...I know it is the same shot...but I love it vertically!
cari

Margaret said...

I'm with you, Pat. I like the vertical better. But really, both shots are nice!

Michelle said...

oh yeah, that vertical shot ROCKS! love how much detail you caught.

Anonymous said...

so pretty!
tara

Sarah Phipps said...

wow great capture.

Debbi said...

Beautiful! I like the vertical better - colors in his feathers are great!

Mom2Drew said...

I like the horizontal shot here!

Becky said...

I like the vertical better, too. That is so sharp! What lens do you use for bird photos?

Jennifer said...

WOW, this is awesome!! Makes me want to get outside and bird watch! Beautiful shots, i love both the vert. & horiz. :)

Yvette A said...

I too like the vertical one better for the same reason as you. Great shots.

Kathy P said...

wow! great shots! i think i like the vertical better too.

periwinkle eye images said...

Yep - I agree! Vertical shots for vertical shapes. It also brought the thrush up closer. The color here is perfect - a little glow to the grey. Very nice indeed! ML

Val said...

Wow. Very sharp shots!

Liz said...

You take the best nature photos! I think I like the horiontal shot best. To me by having him framed by the trunk of the tree and really puts the emphasis on the bird more.

Anonymous said...

I am with you I like the vertical shot. It gives it a little more depth feeling

Tera Fraley said...

So pretty!! And clear! Great shot Pat, love the detail here.

Angela2932 said...

I also like the vertical shot, although the horizontal would be more in the running if it was just slightly composed with teh bird to one side more. . . . Both show great detail.

Joanne Fowler said...

Awesome capture! Great job, it's so crisp and sharp.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I love them both. I think that its so neat how you are able to see the ripple in the textures of feathers. Such amazing focus.