However, there were LOTS of surfers. I could've spent the day watching them. These guys are GOOD. Thank goodness, again, for my 100-300mm zoom. I was wishing for the Sigma Bigma.
This guy was boogie boarding about 200 yards out from shore in the big surf. He had to know what he was doing, because the waves he was skating across the face of broke on black lava rocks.
One surfer coming in, one going out through the wave.+600x308+2.jpg)
I LOVED the guys who caught air at the top of the wave. This one was so good that I have a photo of him pulling his shirt down while he skates along the crest of the way, not even bothered by the fact that he is balanced on the top of the wave.
Really like the fact that his shadow is on the wave under him.
Something I've never seen before--paddleboard surfing. This is how surfing was originally, on big long boards with no fins. The surfers stand on them the whole time, and use the paddle like a rudder. This guy consistently had much longer runs than the guys on the smaller modern boards. He started at least 100 yds. further out than the rest, and usually came in almost all the way to shore.

Of course, not every ride is perfect....
11 comments:
I could look at your Hawaii photos for hours. Thanks for posting more.
Did you use a tripod?
Love these Pat, you did a really great job, I would imagine shooting surfers would be really tough! Those guys and girls who stand and paddle surf are soooooo good. There is no way I could keep my balance on those things. I'm looking forward to your next installment of Hawaii :)
those are not boring at all. Great action photos and the color is beautiful !!!
wow, those are really great. I'm sure just being there was so relaxing.
So jealous! These shots are awesome!! I wanna go there too!
kI could never be bored with your images. Wow they shots are great.
Wow...these are so amazing. So clear and bright. Perfect color. I don't know how you do it, but they are just super. I know I wouldn't even be able to stand up on one of those things.
Awesome shots! I want to be there!
Great action shots.. You did a wonderful job catching them as they fly through the water.
Wonderful
Oh these are great. I am liking you Hawaii photos alot. The action is so focuses and clear and the water is so blue. My fave is the one with his shadow nice shot.
Loving all the Hawaii photos. Surfing looks so hard. I'd crack my head on a rock for sure.
Post a Comment