Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring

One of my favorite spring flowers is the simple little English daisy. I just love their cheery little pinkness, and the structure--it's like they are tiny versions of the macaroni flowers my DD made in Kindergarten.

One spring we were touring the Buchart Gardens in Victoria, BC (FABulous place!!), and there were 2 elderly ladies in front of us on the path, strolling along arm in arm, admiring the plantings and flowers. Next to the sidewalk was a large bed of these on the side of a hill and the strollers stopped. Now--you MUST imagine a very plummy, proper British accent and impeccable diction here-- "Oh, look! Button daisies!!" Since that day, I can never see these without hearing that, and thinking of them as button daisies, because isn't that the most perfect description??




21 comments:

Tera Fraley said...

ohh so pretty!! Love that last one, truly amazing detail!

Sharon said...

I've never heard of button daisies. These are really cool!

Anonymous said...

oh each one of these made me ohhhh and ahhhhh...just awesome!
cari

Amy said...

Yes, perfect. Sweet little buttons. Although it reminds me of the end of a movie where the old senile lady is feeding the baby alligators and calls them that. Anyway, that last one is nothing short of perfection. Love the detail.

Jess said...

I can hear that accent! Too cute! They certainly DO look like little buttons. Your macro shots never cease to amaze me!

HC said...

Love these! Never seen these kind of flowers before. LOVE the 2 close up shots :)

Michelle said...

love that last one! oh, the detail, the detail! you capture it beautifully.

have fun with you dd. i remember how much my mom helped me out when my own kids were 2, 1, 0, and 0. i'm sure you are much needed! you will be missed....

Kristina said...

You take the most gorgeous macro shots! These are just stunning!

Margaret said...

Those little daisies are wonderful. I love the pink. I also have to say how lucky your daughter is that you are taking time away to come help her. I am sure your little grandchildren love their Nana!

Mom2Drew said...

Such unique little flowers...ones I've never seen until your blog just now. I feel for your DD too...16months is a heavy one to carry around. My DS didn't walk until 15.5 months and my brother didn't walk until 18mo. Tell her to hang in there.

Amy said...

These are beautiful! I just love the pretty pink color and detail you captured! Butchart Gardens is one of my most favorite place in the world, my dh and I like to go as often as possible.

Have fun with your grandbabies and how nice of you to help your dd! :)

Debbi said...

Very pretty. What a cool looking flower - I just wanted to reach out and touch it. The texture looks so interesting!

Anonymous said...

these are gorgeous!
and you are such a great mom/grandma for going to help out!!! have fUN! take lots of pics!
tara

lcp said...

These are beautiful! I love the last one with the great detail in the foreground and sea of color in the background.

Anonymous said...

Oh these are so pretty. What a wonderful opportunity to help your dd and spend time with your grandchildren

Becky said...

That first one takes my breath away, but of course they're all beautiful! Enjoy your nana time! We'll miss you!

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Such pretty pictures! Amazing clarity and detail!

Val said...

These are gorgeous. Pat, your DD is so lucky to have you. I would love to have my mom come to help when I'm feeling overwhelmed. you rock! We'll miss you.

Mandy said...

These are stunning. I just love the detail on the last one.

Yvonne said...

Great story! And I really love the colors in these shots! Great job! I'm sure going to miss your photos the next week!

Suzy said...

Just scrolling through your blog to show a friend.. These are Beautiful!