Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hawaii -- the flowers of Paradise

I love the flowers in Hawaii!! So many different types, and colors, and shapes... Hibiscus grow as hedges and are PRUNED to shape, since they grow so rampantly. Orchids, plumeria (LOVE that scent), antheriums, heliconia, ginger, bouganvillea, flowers I didn't even know the names of...

But these. THESE are protea and they grow in the Upcountry--on the slopes of Haleakela. There are over 40 different varieties, and I only saw a few, but they are all wildly architectural and almost abstract, as if a child had designed flowers. When the blossoms are dry, they will last for up to 30 (!) years. They were selling bouquets at Safeway and the drugstore for about $10; roadside stands had individual blooms for $3.oo. What a deal!!!!

The center of this one was larger than a softball. One of these makes a bouquet.

This one looks like an extra-fancy pin cushion.
This one was bigger than a tennis ball, and all those "petals" had fuzzy ends on them, especially in the center.
These aren't feathers; they are another variety of protea.

10 comments:

Reds said...

Wow!!! Those are gorgeous flowers!! Never seen anything like it!!

Bobbi said...

These are so different! beautiful colors.

Becky said...

Beautiful, Pat! Were you able to bring any home to dry?

For Over 29 Years... said...

Oh I have never seen anything like that. Were you able to bring some home?

Anonymous said...

just gorgeous!!!!!!
tara

Lauren Hartman said...

Pat, these are amazingly gorgeous! Aren't the hibiscus incredible? I wrote about those in my book. Did you go to the Lahaina Cannery Mall? We were there almost every day to get a Starbucks fix and the long hedges of yellow hibiscus made me drool!

Can't wait to see tomorrow's installment!

Angela2932 said...

These photos make me happy! Just looking at them, and thinking about the color and texture! (and because I just got a macro lens and am hoping to eventually have a smidgeon (word?) of your skill and talent some day.) Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Mandy said...

I love your macro work, Pat. The first one is my favorite. It just seems to me totally hugging the center. Beautifully done.

Jodi said...

Gorgeous. I totally miss the smell of plumeria in the evening.

Margaret said...

Pat,
These are so beautiful. So interesting to look at and so unique. Amazing colors!