The Hana road isn't very long (about 39 miles from the start of Hwy. 36) but it is a wiggly, just-barely-2 lane road with (it is said) 600 turns, mostly hairpin, and 54 one-lane bridges. Two-lane road and one-lane bridges? Yep. Hana isn't a trip if you are in a hurry--Hana Road is an experience. There are so many vistas, and shades of green, and surprises around the curves--there are hardly ANY straight stretches of road. There are places where the shoulder is a bit wider, and you can pull over to let people past, especially the locals who know the road and drive like the proverbial Bats.
This was taken from the car--twisty road, lots of cars, a bridge coming up, and yes, this picture is straight! You can just barely see the "Do Not Pass" sign...what a joke! At one place on the road, you couldn't even see the road behind you in the rearview mirror because it curved so sharply, and you couldn't see the road in front of you due to the same reason, and you are on a cliff edge.
One of the bridges on the road. Some of them are nearly 100 years old. Usually there is a hairpin turn right before and right after the bridge, with a SMALL shoulder scooped out for traffic to pull over and wait to take turns crossing the bridge.
Another bridge, viewed from a trail. You can see how the road curves, and continues to curve after the stand of trees--the yellow sign warns you of yet-another curve.
It had been dry on Maui this winter, so the waterfalls were quite low. I was disappointed not to see a little more volume, but they were still really fun to hike to and see.
This one was hard to get, with the combination of shade and sun. I know the water is blown out in places, but this is the best I could do.
Looking west across Honomanu Bay. The line on the cliffs is the road... Due to the haziness, the ocean really blends into the sky, and there isn't as much definition as I would like in these. It was STILL gorgeous!

Looking west from the Ke'anae Peninsula, where we found absolutely scrumptious, moist, delicious banana bread, still warm from the oven. You can just barely see the road about aabout halfway up the cliffs on the other side of the bay.
.jpg)
This is at the end of the road down to Nahiku, which makes the Hana road look like a freeway. It is BARELY two lanes, more like one-and-a-half. However, when you get to the end of the road, there is a beautiful look-out, a couple of waterfalls, and the most spectacular black lava rocks and breakers. Well worth the drive down the road, and probably our favorite place. We didn't go any further, as Rick was having Driver Fatigue and we had to drive the same roads back, just with more traffic, so we will save the rest of the road for another visit!
25 comments:
What a neat adventure! I want to goto hawaii so badly...one day! I LOVE your photos here...wonderful job!
Cari
Pat,
Again, I am in awe of your spectacular Hawaii shots. I really love that one overlooking the bay. Such a beautiful vantage point. That sounds like such a beautiful road to drive.
Wow what an adventure. I love that last picture. Just beautiful. I don't think I would have enjoyed that road the way you described it.
Nice. Like that last shot.
Wow!! What a beautiful road trip!!! Gorgeous photos - everything looks so green!! I'm tired of white!! ;)
Wow these photos are all just amazing!! You could sell these! Those bridges give me the heebie jeebies! The waterfall is absolutely gorgeous!! You are a fantastic landscape photographer!
This are beautiful and bring back such memories! I love the waterfall photo. Your photos are fantastic!
Beautiful photos & I love the journaling - so we get an idea of being there! That last shot is incredible.
You got such great color and focus on these beautiful views.
Wow! What an adventure!
Wow!!! Are you going to make an album of your trip???
love those last 3 and the vibrant blue!
Such amazing pictures!
oh, so beautiful! I am soo jealous!
I am so jealous!!! Looks like you had an amazing trip to Hawaii.
Your photos are all so wonderful, I feel as if I am there..... almost. :P
oh my gosh..those are gorgeous. i love the 2nd one and the waterfall is stunning. great shots.
Those are so lovely! Sounds awesome!
wow i wish i was with you! loving these pics and informative journaling! keep em coming!
Wow, what beautiful shots pat! Hope you are enjoying the sunshine :)
Gorgeous shots and gorgeous scenery.
I'm so enjoying my virtual tour of Maui!
The pictures look so calm and beautiful!
That last photo ROCKS!!! I can not wait until we can go to Hawaii!! I haven't been since I was 17!!!!
Pat, these are beautiful! The water is so deliciously colored, and the sky so blue! I'm with you on the waterfalls....I wish they had been fuller.
I never did get a single picture of any of the bridges (even though I intended to do so). How pathetic is that? We too stopped at that same stand for warm banana bread, YUM!
Beautiful, once again. I kind of prefer the "blown" water. It adds to the dimension. I also love the last two. If I didn't have so many pics of my kids, these are the kind I would put on my walls.
What a great trip you are having. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures
Post a Comment