Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hawaii -- a whale of a tale

I have always been fascinated with whales, dolphins, orcas, and so was really excited to go on a whale watch excursion with the Pacific Whale Foundation, a nonprofit research, conservation and education organization. They have a naturalist on board during the trip who explains what you are seeing and what the behaviors mean--at least, what they THINK they mean...

Now, here are signs you don't see every day!! You MUST stay at least 100 yds. back from the whales; if they want to come closer than that, that's up to them.
This was a calf, who was such a little show-off. I managed to catch him breaching. He looks small, but is actually about the size of a truck.
The mother is rolling, waving one of her pectoral fins. They are up to 15' long--it was huge. The calf is just in front of her. The mother is never more than 45 yds. from the calf.
Another calf showing off. That tail looks little compared to an adult's flukes, but it is BIG! You can tell it is a calf because the flukes are smaller, and the tail is chunky. Adults are longer and thinner, and bigger.
More tail splashes, with mom following behind. Quite often the mother will support the calf on her rostrum (nose) as they go through the water.
Mom rolls and shows a pectoral fin, while calf dives. These 2 were close enough that we could hear them breathe as they came to the surface. Unbelievably exciting!!
Both fins up!
When it hit the water, you could hear it in your bones. Imagine something 15' long and several feet wide hitting the water at a good speed... The turquoise area just below the calf is another whale, underwater. When they are just below the surface, the water takes on a turquoise hue.
This group of 3 is a female, with the calf behind her, and an escort male. Quite often there are groups of 3, with a male "friend" accompanying, but the male is not the father.
The underside of each whale's flukes is as distinctive as fingerprints are in humans. Whales are identified by the pattern on the underside of their tail flukes.
When the whales dive, a smooth glassy "footprint" is left on the surface of the water.
I would do this again in a heartbeat. It was the fastest 2 hours I have ever spent. It was a little tricky trying to take photos with my 100-300mm zoom on a rocking boat with people jostling around, but it is not something to be missed!!


25 comments:

Amy said...

Great captures! These are really neat!

Angela2932 said...

I love these! And those signs are great! Honestly haven't seen any of them in ND. Reminds me of a trip I took to Alaska and got to see whales.

Anonymous said...

This is always something I have wanted to do...your photos are amazing...now I really want to do this!
Cari

Val said...

Wow! Amazing photos! the signs are hilarious

jewels said...

Pat...NO WAY!!! WOW. That was an adventure just looking at your photos! :) We used to go sailing a lot, trying to spot whales...But I've still never seen a wild one up close like that! So neat.

Cheers,
jewels

HeyLady said...

I've gone whale watching before & it is so incredible. I didn't get photos like this though. They are beautiful photos.

Anonymous said...

Oh such great shots. I love to see whales and not at Sea World. That must have been an amazing 2 hours.

Unknown said...

As always.. you got some more great shots.. I would have loved to take these shots...

Alicia Barry said...

That footprint is very cool.

Michelle said...

those are so awesome. love how close you got and how you were able to document the behaviors. the colors of the water are amazing. now i need to add whale watching to my list of things to do!

For Over 29 Years... said...

Wow those are just fantastic. So wonderful to see.

Anonymous said...

these are wonderful. i also appreciate the detail to your journaling! tfs! looking forward to seeing more!

Lauren Hartman said...

Holy smokes Pat, looks like you had an amazing outing! You really got some fantastic shots. I loved our guy on the microphone, he was such a wealth of information, plus he got as excited as a little kid about seeing the whales :)

Isn't shooting on that boat a challenge? I dislike crowds like none other, and people would not give up their spots on the rail for anything. I would have liked the person on the microphone to announce halfway through the cruise that people on the rail needed to move away for those not on the rail.

Can't wait to see more of your pics!

Danielle said...

Wiw beautiful. That would have been a site to see.

Amy said...

These are awesome! I'm LOVING seeing your Hawaii shots, especially these whale ones!

Shanna Jones said...

Cool!

Stacey said...

How cool! Sounds like SO much fun!!

Bobbi said...

These are so awesome. I really loved reading all the facts about the whales, but now I want more! What an amazing experience.

Kristina said...

Wow, what an experience! Good job with the shots, I'm sure those were tough to get.

Becky said...

Oh, I'd be so excited none of my photos would come out. I've always wanted to do this too. So pretty!

Reds said...

Went whale watching once and never saw as many as you did! Awesome shots!

Margaret said...

These are just incrediblel, Pat. I love the beautiful color of the water and the shots you got of the whales are spectacular. It's so cool that you could hear them breathing! WOW! My sister was in Hawaii recently, but only with a P&S with a major shutter lag. Most of the shots she got are of the sky after the whales went back in the water.:)

mel said...

oh how fun! great photos from the last few days... I think I want to vacation in Hawaii now! That beach sure looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I can definitely see why there is a hazard. Those are so beautiful.

Jodi said...

wow, makes that 300mm worthwhile, huh?