Saturday, May 17, 2008

After the sun shines...

...the snow in the mountains starts melting. Most years that isn't a problem because Spring arrives here slowly, a few degrees at a time, over a period of weeks. However, with 2 days of high 80s weather, the snow in the mountains is filling the rivers and overflowing waterfalls. I love it! Not the threat of flooding, but the awe-inspiring majesty of the power of the falls, no matter their size.
This is the falls near us. It is 268' feet high, 100' higher than Niagara Falls. They are full right now; there are usually large black rock outcroppings that show at the lip of the falls, but not now. Some times the spray plumes are as high as the falls themselves. You can't even see the river below.
Same shot, just taken horizontally...
This is a small falls about 4 miles from my place. Well, it's usually small...see the shot below.
This was taken 10 days ago, and is a close up of the upper cascade at the very top of the falls in the above photo. Amazing what a little warm weather can do, isn't it?

16 comments:

Sara said...

That's a lot of water. Seattle-ites
must be confused. I hate when the weather is totally out of whack- I feel all out of sorts. But I digress...
I especially like the vertical shot of the falls. It's amazing that those are the same, soft falls we saw pictures of just a month or two ago.
Keep cool!

periwinkle eye images said...

And to think I came "that close" to joining you with my camera when you went there today. But Costo groceries just won't hold too well in the car when it is 93 degrees outside! Well done! How exciting - with blue sky to boot! ML

Anonymous said...

Pat as always great photos. I love waterfalls big and small.

C said...

Beautiful Pat! I really like the horizontal shot of the waterfall. More of the spray really adds to the beauty and the misty look. That's a lot of water too!
Well we all know this year and the year before and so on... the weather just gets weirder and weirder. Crazy huh.

Bobbi said...

Those are some powerful images Pat! I can really hear the water falling from those first two.

Shanna Jones said...

Cool shots. I love waterfall pics.

Katie said...

awesome waterfalls

Diana said...

beautiful beautiful shots, i wish we had beautiful nature here.

Becky said...

Eww...95. That would make me cranky. Beautiful falls, though!

Malisa said...

really nice pics- as usual!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Wow. You make me want to see Seattle. Now I need to learn to be careful what you wish for. Since I asked you to send some rain our way it has snowed and rained for days.

Margaret said...

Those are absolutely beautiful, Pat. Your weather there has been crazy! I think the hot temperatures are coming our way now. It's supposed to be in the
90s the next few days. Our streams and rivers are going to be running like mad!

Mandy said...

Oh my word! Those are so amazing. Your water pics are always out of this world. :)

Mom2Drew said...

Incredible!

Sharon said...

Wow! I love to see the power of all that water. Great captures!

Amy said...

Wow, so pretty! I want to find a waterfall. I think if I take a hike up behind my house a ways there should be one as I live on the side of a mountain and the snow is melting like crazy! It's hungry bear season though and they live in that area...hmmm, is it worth the shot? :)