Monday, May 19, 2008

The View From Below

These were taken from an area at the base of the Falls posted on Saturday. A few foolhardy souls climbed past the railing and warning signs to get out on the rocks at the river's edge. When the river is this high and violent, it is a risky place to be. I was late enough in the day, and the sun was at just the right angle, to have a mist-bow appear for just a few seconds.
And, I am addicted right now to the ultra-slow exposures and running water. This was cropped and sharpened for the web, but other than that, no PP-ing. The water looks like painted silk to me.

18 comments:

Tera Fraley said...

These are gorgeous Pat!! You always amaze me, I love the capture of the rainbow!

Sharon said...

Pat you are the master at technique! And I am grateful for the fools because they lend some scale to these awesome falls. Wonderful photos!!

Reds said...

Oh Wow - love that last shot - does look like silk!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

I would be afraid to get that close to the falls. The 2nd one looks so silky smoothe.

Stacey said...

These shots are nothing short of amazing. I want to be there right now. Real bad. I mean...real bad. Absolutely breathtaking.

Anonymous said...

these are amazing...especially that last shot! THAT is perfect!
cari

Tricia said...

These are beautiful Pat.

lcp said...

These are terrific! I love the silky water and the glow in the first two. Fantastic!

Margaret said...

In.cred.i.ble! I absolutely love that mist bow...and that last shot...so silky smooth!

Becky said...

When I see crazy fools like that in real life, my worry kind of ruins my enjoyment of the beauty of a place like that, but I agree with Sharon that they give a sense of scale in the photos. Love that silky water too. You must use a tripod for those slow shutter speeds?

Michelle said...

ok, that last one is stunning. you are so right-it looks like silk running over the rocks. beautiful.

Anonymous said...

wow that last shot knocked my socks off! how gorgeous!

Debbi said...

You are so amazing! Beautiful shots. Love the water in the last one! Looks so soft.

♥ Amy said...

You are amazing, Pat. Thanks for all the flattering comments on my blog. Even though I see my flaws, I love hearing compliments from a Pro!

Jen said...

These made me happy! Great job!

Sandra Collins said...

gorgeous shots - the rainbow is awesome

Jess said...

Oh my... those people are either REALLY brave or REALLY dumb to be down there! I love the mist-bow. And the silky water is just FANTASTIC- it looks like I could almost reach out and feel the silky softness!

Amy said...

So pretty! That rainbow and waterfall is just gorgeous and the 'silky' water is just like a painting! You are so right about that!