Sunday, May 4, 2008

THIS is why...

...I love Seattle. Days like this--sunny, warm, blue sky, a gift delivered between the gray rainy gloomy weeks. Today and tomorrow are going to be those gifts, before the next drift of rain settles in.
DH and I went over to Seattle, to the Montlake Cut, which is a channel connecting Lake Union and Lake Washington. Saturday was the Opening Day of Boating Season, so there is a lot of traffic through the Cut right now. The old bridge that spans the cut...
...can be opened to allow passage to sailboats with masts that are too high to go under the closed bridge.
There was a small flotilla of tall-masted sail boats, waiting to go through the opened bridge. You can see the Cascade Mts. in the background. What a DAY!!!This is the bridgekeeper's tower, where he can see up and down the cut, and operate the bridge when the boats signal. He can see Seattle, the Olympic Mts., and the Cascade Mts. Not a bad place to work, and lots of gorgeous boats to watch.


16 comments:

Chell said...

I love the drawbridge picture. I am glad you had some nice weather.

Michelle said...

wow. yet more reasons for me to harass the dh about moving to the pacific northwest! i SO want to be there with you!! were you on the water to get those shots? i love the angle. and the gatekeepers house is so cool!

Laura B. said...

Awesome Mom! Wish I was there!!!

Shanna Jones said...

Nice. I love that third one. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! These are beautiful!
Cari

Jess said...

Oh MY! These are breathtaking! I am SO GLAD you got SUN today! I would love to work in that tower... oh, the views!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Wow. I always love seeing what you photograph. So beautiful. Can you send some of that water our way. We are currently surrounded by 3 fires. Everything is soooo dry.

Amy said...

So beautiful! I've been to Seattle quite a few times (my dad is from WA) and LOVE it there! I love the shot with the Cascade Mountains in the background, so pretty!

Becky said...

Looks like such a beautiful place! Love those mountains in the background.

Reds said...

Isn't it wonderful when the sun is out??!! Had no such luck this weekend... maybe next week! Love that bridge!

Jen said...

Love the boat picture! Nice!

Sandra Collins said...

beautiful shots

Debbi said...

Beautiful pictures! I hope I get to go there someday!

Sara said...

I love that snipet into a small part of Seattle life. I love the mental journey I just took while reading/looking at your pics!

Cindi Koceich said...

Yay...so happy you're having a sunny day!
These photos are beautiful!
I really love them all!!

Angela2932 said...

I really like the gatekeepers tower! I also want to know where you were when you took the photo of the flotilla coming toward you. . . Can we all just move in with you now?